QUILT HISTORY STORIES

                        

 ELGIN, ILLINOIS

CHICAGO, ILLINOIS

 

Rudolph Petzelt Connection Story

Book 6

Susan Wildemuth, Atkinson, IL

Rudolph F. Petzelt

Courtesy of June Siffrar and Janet Petzelt-Franke

The Rudolph Frank Petzelt Connection

An agreement of merger was reached between Mid-City Engineering Company Rudolph F. Petzelt, President and Collingbourne Mills, Inc. Parker F. McMahan (Attorney-at-Law), President and was legally certified with the State of Illinois on January 29th 1943. (7)  $1.00 was exchanged by each party to the other and the two companies became one. (8)  The name Mid-City Engineering Company was retired and the surviving corporation would be known as Collingbourne Mills, Inc.  The office of the newly merged Collingbourne Mills, Inc was located at 367-383 Bluff City Boulevard in Elgin, Illinois. (9)

The purpose of Collingbourne Mills, Inc. was redefined in State of Illinois documents as:

1. To manufacture, buy, sell and deal in thread, yarn, tape, braids, cords and all other articles of merchandise and to dye, mercerize and treat by other processes the foregoing articles.

2.  Engineering, designing, creating, repairing, operating, and selling special machines, machine parts, tools, and dies.

(10)

The first Board of Directors were:

Parker F. McMahan      408 Park Street Elgin, Illinois

Ralph R. Trimarco         908 Wagner Street, Glenview, Illinois

James Culbertson          404 Sunset Lane, Glencoe, Illinois

Rudolph Petzelt             6133 N. Nararre Avenue Chicago, Illinois       

Franklin Schultz             245 Lavergne Avenue, Hillside, Illinois

(11)

The name Collingbourne Mills, Inc. was retired into the history books on April 8, 1943, when Rudolph Petzelt, President of the corporation changed the name from Collingbourne Mills, Inc. to Dexter Mills, Inc. (12)

 This name choice would cause some confusion to future researchers and needs to be clarified.  In 1943 Pelzelt’s company was incorporated under the name Dexter Mills, Inc. not Dexter Thread Mills, Inc., a name which would appear later in this story in connection with LeeWards.  Rudolph Petzelt would eventually move his company Dexter Mills, Inc. to 4310 North Kedzie Avenue, Chicago, Illinois. (13) He remained owner of Dexter Mills, Inc. until he retired some time in the mid 1950s. 

                                 

TOP

 

BACK TO RUDOLPH PETZELT CONNECTION

TABLE OF CONTENTS PAGE


BACK TO STORY INDEX